We are one of the oldest family businesses in Abergavenny, founded by George William Shackleton in Spring 1873. It has celebrated over 134 years of business with the fifth generation of the family now running the business still bearing the family name. George William Shackleton came to Abergavenny from Ross-on-Wye and set up in business at 61 Frogmore Street as a Chemist and Dental Surgeon.
The business flourished and in 1898, a second shop was opened at 26 High Street and transferred to his son, George Harry Shackleton who was a Chemist and Druggist. The business however stayed only one year in High Street before moving to 9 Cross Street in 1899, where the business traded until 1992.
In 1980 the company took over the former S V Kent's chemists premises in Nevill Street, Abergavenny, whilst still retaining the pharmacy in Cross Street. However the Cross Street pharmacy relocated to its current location at 24 Brecon Road.
The company now has six premises: two pharmacies and a photographic shop in Abergavenny, one pharmacy in Beaufort, Ebbw Vale and two in Hereford.
The Beaufort pharmacy was opened in 1978 shortly after the death of William Harry Shackleton. The Photographic shop which was split between the Cross Street and former Kent's premises moved into its current premises in Nevill Street in 2000. Located next to the pharmacy is Abergavenny's only one stop photographic store.
Today, H.Shackleton Ltd is run by Ian and Geoff Shackleton, along with their father Brian, all of whom are qualified pharmacists.